The blog is no longer accepting submissions.
The purpose of The Ride or Die Project Blog was to create a channel of communication, archiving and sharing of stories primarily by and about self-identified women who live by a ride-or-die philosophy.
The term “ride-or-die chick” became popular in the 1990’s through rap music and referred to a woman who was down with the cause. A Hip Hop spin on the popular mythology of Bonnie and Clyde, the ride-or-die chick refers to a woman who has undying loyalty for her partner and is willing to stand by them through anything, even in the face of death.
For the purpose of this project, we are interested in exploring the idea of being ride-or-die as a phenomenon that has transcended time. Our exploration refers to someone whose loyalty is not only to their intimate partners but also to their families, friends, communities and even to political movements; recognizing that though the recipient may change, the patterns of self-effacement are consistently applied.
In the case of visual art and photography we ask that contributors:
- Include a written artistic statement for their submission and can be published alongside the pieces.
- Consider placing a watermark on the image because the post will be shared in a variety of social media sites.
We accept both original pieces and cross-posts.
We ask that written submissions generally not go beyond 2000 words, although we will consider some exceptions. Please submit your work as a Microsoft Word document and all images as separate jpegs attached to the e-mail. We like to include links and images to make our posts as dynamic as possible so please make sure that these are included in your submission.
Please include in each submission:
- A title for the submission
- A feature image for the submission
- A 2-sentence bio
- A headshot/photo of yourself
- Any websites and/or twitter handles you would like us to hyperlink to your name
If you would like to submit something for consideration, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the contact us form.
The Ride or Die Project will now be accepting rolling submissions for the blog. The deadline to submit for publication the following month is the 20th of each month. Here are the upcoming deadlines for the next 6 months:
- January 20th is the deadline for publication in February
- February 20th is the deadline for publication in March
- March 20th is the deadline for publication in April
- April 20th is the deadline for publication in May
- May 20th is the deadline for publication in June
- June 20th is the deadline for publication in July
One of the reasons The Ride or Die Project exists is so that we begin documenting the stories of women who have had their stories silenced. We began with co-founder Amanda Parris interviewing 3 women who supported loved one’s that we incarcerated and grew from there.
Interviews can be done anonymously over the phone/Skype or shared without revealing the identity of the source.
If you would like to share your story and be interviewed by The Ride or Die Project please e-mail us at email@example.com or fill out our contact us form. We will be in touch within 5 days.
There is no deadline for interview submissions. We are ready when you are.